A post from Megan, for anyone who has ever considered working with a personal trainer.
For years, I was stuck in the cardio cycle. Never seeing results, but not sure how to obtain them. After I had my second child, I was extremely weak and de-conditioned. I hired a personal trainer for 3 months for 2 hours per week. We focused on increasing my strength and she let me do my cardio on my own. During that time, I experienced such a body transformation that strength training is my go to exercise and if I have time, I add in a bit of cardio. Also, it is important to note that if strength training is done properly, your heart rate is up the entire time so you are incorporating a cardio element as well.
Here is what I found.
1. At the beginning, the warm-up was excruciating. I never thought I would get through a full hour, however after time it all got easier. Stick with it, don’t get discouraged right away, it’s a process.
2. I was creating muscle definition that I never had before. This allowed me to lose the baby weight more quickly. My muscles were a calorie burning furnace. It also improved my confidence in how I looked and what I could do to keep up with two little kids.
3. My overall posture improved, something I had been insecure about since high school.
4. I gained knowledge about how to properly strength train. My trainer taught me proper form and encouraged me that I was strong enough to do more. This is knowledge I carry with me 7 years later.
5. While I understand you need to do what you like, I found that step, cardio kick, spin and the elliptical never really gave me the body transformation that I needed. After the 3 months, we took a beach trip and I was in the best shape of my life, even after having two kids (one 4 months and 23 months)
6. MOST IMPORTANTLY, NEVER BELIEVE YOU ARE NOT IN GOOD IN ENOUGH SHAPE TO WORK WITH A TRAINER. THEY WILL MODIFY EACH WORKOUT TO YOUR FITNESS LEVEL SO IT IS FUN AND EFFECTIVE!
I highly encourage all members to schedule an assessment with one of our trainers. You really have nothing to lose, but you do have something to gain. It could transform your life.